Barcelona Airport is the second largest airport in Spain, and it is still growing. According to the 2015 statistics, it handled an average of 108,800 passengers per day through almost 289,000 flight operations a year. These numbers may give a good reason for its growth!
Barcelona El Prat Airport Terminals T1 and T2
There is only one airport, which is divided into two terminals: the newer terminal 1 (T1) and Terminal 2 (T2). Terminal 2 (T2) encloses the former terminals A, B, and C, as you can see on the airport map.
BCN Airport Terminal 1 (T1)
The newer terminal T1 is fully operative since October 2009, and it is taking care of over 70% of the Barcelona Airport flights. Terminal T1 handles most of the international flights. In this new terminal, you will also find airlines that are part of those global alliances like Oneworld, StarAlliance and even for those airlines which have some agreement with them. In terminal T1 also operates the Barcelona to Madrid air shuttle provided by Iberia, with several flights a day from 6:30 am to 9 pm.
BCN Airport Terminal 2 (T2)
Terminal T2 encloses the former terminals A, B, and C. Currently, Terminal T2 is reserved for some low-cost carriers for international flights and also for some regional flights. By the way, if you want to appreciate a beautiful piece of art free of charge, then see the ceramic mural of Joan Miró in the facade of T2B.
Adjacent to terminal T2, at just a short walk, is the Corporate Aviation Terminal, a private jet terminal with a fleet of many aircraft dedicated to companies and executive flight services. The Corporate Terminal offers many facilities, like passport control, VIP lounges, waiting rooms and meeting rooms, among others.
Barcelona Airport Transportation
1. Options To/From City Center and Neighbor Cities
There are several airport transfer options according to your budget or in case you travel with a group. By public transport, you have the Renfe airport train (it stops in front of T2), the airport metro line L9 Sud (both terminals), the daytime bus 46 to/from Plaça Espanya, bus L99 (Castelldefels - Airport), bus L77 (Sant Joan Despí - Airport), bus PR1 (El Prat de Llobregat - Airport), night bus N16 for T2 (Plaça Catalunya-Ronda Universitat - Castelldefels) and N17 for T1 (Plaça Catalunya-Ronda Universitat - Airport).
The Aerobus shuttle is an efficient private service with relatively low rates, but a limited schedule. The Aerobus connects downtown with both terminals. From Plaza Catalunya, you can take the Aerobus A1 to get to T1, or the Aerobus A2 to get to T2. Taxi is the most expensive transport to and from the airport.
If you want to avoid queues at your arrival and save money, Book the Airport Transfer here.
2. Barcelona Airport Transfers - Intercity Buses
- Mon-Bus (Barcelona-El Vendrell): some stops of this line are Sitges, Vilanova, Cubelles, Segur and Calafell among others.
- Empresa Plana (La Granadella-Tarragona-Barcelona): some stops of this bus line are Torredembarra, Tarragona, La Pineda, Port Aventura, Salou, Cambrils, Reus among others.
- Alsa (several destinations): some destination cities are Girona, Figueres, Lleida, Tarragona, Reus, Castellon, Valencia, Alicante, Murcia, Almeria.
- Barcelona Bus (Barcelona-Maresme-Costa Brava-Girona): some few destinations are Mataro, Calella, Blanes, Pineda de Mar, Santa Susana, Malgrat de Mar, Girona, Figueres.
- Sarfa (Barcelona-Costa Brava): some destinations are Begur, Lloret de Mar, Palafrugell, Tossa de Mar, Pals, Roses.
- Hife (several destinations): a few destinations are Castellon, Valencia, Teruel, Tortosa, Benicarlo, Benicassim, Oropesa, Vinaros, among others.
- Directbus (Airport-Sants Station-Andorra): bus service to Andorra, from 7:30 am to 11 pm, with one stop at Barcelona Sants station.
- Andbus (Airport-Andorra): bus service to Andorra, from 10 am to 10 pm.
3. Airport Shuttle Between T1 and T2
There is a free bus service connecting BCN airport terminal 1 and terminal 2 which is running around the clock. This service is performed by a green bus that operates every 4 minutes (8am-8pm), every 7 minutes (5am-8am/8pm-12am) and every 20 minutes (12am-5am).
4. Long-stay Car Park Shuttle Bus Service
This shuttle is a free service linking airport terminals T1 and T2 with the long-stay parking area. This bus service operates every 20 minutes between 4:30 am and 12:30 am (April-September) and between 5:30 am and 11:30 pm (October-March).
Car Hire at Barcelona Airport
There are many car hire companies at the airport, like Hertz, Avis, National Atesa, Europcar, Sixt and Goldcar among others. Car rental at Barcelona airport terminal 1 or terminal 2 could become a nightmare if you want to do it on arrival. You may find long queues at most of the rental companies' desks due to the time it takes the paperwork. You should also consider that the rental car offices at the airport are not open around the clock.
Therefore, it is advisable to book your car before your trip, and just pick it up on arrival. You will save not only time but also money. By booking your car online, you usually get much better rates than at the airport. We offer the lowest car hire prices with the best comparison engine on the web. Book your car now!
Airport Hotels with Shuttle Bus Service
There are a bunch of good hotels by Barcelona Airport which offer a free shuttle service. Even if some of the hotels near the airport do not provide a free shuttle bus, you can still reach them by using the available airport transportation and transfers described above. Below you have the list of hotels in four towns near Barcelona airport, the approximate distance and directions to get to them. Book Your Room Now!
1. El Prat de Llobregat (2 Km)
- Tryp Barcelona Aeropuerto Hotel (free shuttle)
- BAH Barcelona Airport Hotel (free shuttle)
- Ciutat del Prat (free shuttle)
- Hotel Blauet (bus PR1 stop Lleida-Bunyoles or Metro L9 stop Centric)
- Pension Carlos III (bus PR1 stop Enric Borras-Sant Joaquim)
- Hostal Cal Siles (bus PR1 stop Lleida-Carretera de l'Aviacio)
- Centre Esplai Albergue (bus PR1 stop Av. de l'Onze de Setembre-Riu Anoia)
2. Viladecans (8 Km)
- Ibis Barcelona Aeropuerto Viladecans (bus L99 stop Av. Generalitat-Pl.Europa + bus L86 stop Torrent-Fondo)
- Ibis Budget Barcelona Viladecans (bus L99 stop Av. Generalitat-Pl.Europa + bus L86 stop Torrent-Fondo)
- B&B Hotel Viladecans (bus L99 stop Ctra. de la Vila-Centre Comercial)
3. L'Hospitalet de Llobregat (10 Km)
- NH Collection Barcelona Tower (free shuttle)
- AC Hotel Som (bus 46 stop Gran Via-Bloc Ildefons Cerda)
- Travelodge Barcelona Fira (bus 46 stop Pl. Europa)
- Fira Congress (free shuttle)
- Eurohotel Barcelona Gran Via Fira (bus 46 stop Miguel Hernandez)
- Hotel Porta Fira (bus 46 stop Amadeu Torner-IKEA)
- Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel (bus 46 stop Pl. Europa)
- Aparthotel Hesperia Fira Suites (bus 46 stop Hospital Oncologic)
- Eurostar Lex (bus 46 stop Ildefons Cerda-Gran Via)
- Hotel Madanis (metro L9 stop Collblanc)
- Hotel SB Plaza Europa (bus 46 stop Gran Via-Bloc Ildefons Cerda)
4. Zona Franca Barcelona (8 Km)
- Hotel Best Western Plus Alfa Aeropuerto (free shuttle)
Smoking Areas at Barcelona Airport
In Terminal 2 (T2), you are only permitted to smoke outside the building, before check-in or after your arrival. There are no smoking areas inside T2. However, if you are taking a flight in Terminal 1 (T1), you can smoke before check-in and after security control. Before check-in, of course, outside the building. Outside the arrival hall, you will find an enormous open-air terrace connecting with parking G, and a tobacco shop. This terrace could be one place, or one floor down arrivals you get out the street for public transit and transfers, and you can smoke there.
If you are taking a flight in Terminal 1 (T1), don't care if your departing gate area is A, B, C or D. Just follow this advice, which is the easiest way to find the smoking area. After security control (but before passport control!) go downstairs, then walk to your left through the shopping area. After a short walk, you will find a beautiful and large open air smoking area, a Costa Coffee shop and a Lizarran restaurant. This space is a good place to spend some time in the sun, even for non-smokers.
Beware of the time! You still need to go through passport control and get to your gate, which might easily take 20 minutes or even more.
What Kind of Facilities can You Find at BCN El Prat Airport?
Even though we are not listing all the airport facilities, located mainly at terminals T1, T2A and T2B, here you have what can be of interest for you including what we could call surrounding facilities: Banks, Money exchange, ATM's, Tourist Information points, Facilities for disabled travelers (lifts, ramps, reserved parking areas, telephones, toilets etc.), Lost and/or left-luggage (arrival, terminals T1 and T2).
Also Restaurants, Bars, Children's Play Areas, WiFi areas, Post office, VIP lounges, Shopping, Tax refund, Big meeting room for business (with phone, fax, Internet, projectors etc.), Business Center, Drugstore, Medical service, Police Station, Tour operators, Travel agents, Airport Car Hire Companies, Parking, Rail Station, Metro stations, Aero Bus, Taxi, Airport hotel shuttle service, and more.